Arlington Lamar High School Shooting victim named by family, suspect is still in custody

The student killed in a shooting outside Arlington’s Lamar High School on Monday has been identified by his family, according to reports from THE Dallas Morning News and WFAA. Jashawn Poirier, 16, is named in a GoFundMe campaign organized by someone named Na’Jai Jacob, who claims to be Poirier’s cousin.

“Jashawn was a friendly, quiet guy. He made friends easily and had many who loved him,” the GoFundMe page reads. family and I know it hits families hard who have been through this same situation.

According to KTVT, the 15-year-old suspect, who was arrested by police in his high school playground moments after the shooting, attended a detention hearing in Tarrant County today. The suspect wiped away his tears as the judge announced his decision to hold him on capital murder charges.

KTVT reports noted, “The judge read aloud details of the police report, which found that the boy was captured on surveillance video from two different angles, as he pulled a long pistol from a backpack and fired at a group of students just before 7 on Monday.” The judge also read that the male victim was shot in the neck.In addition to the slain student, a girl was shot in the cheek but sustained no life-threatening injuries.

During a Monday afternoon news conference, Arlington Police Chief Alexander Jones declined to name either the suspect or the victim because they are minors. Jones confirmed that the suspect and victim were both students at Lamar High School. Jones said police are still investigating to determine the motive.

“I’m still numb, but I’m grateful that other children weren’t hurt,” Lamar principal Andrew Hagman said during Monday’s press conference, held outside on the high school campus.

Police say the school was not open at the time of the shooting and believe the shooter did not enter the building. The shooter was taken into custody by school resource officers who were scheduled to begin their shifts at 7 a.m., five minutes after the shooting. The campus was immediately locked down to allow police to conduct a search of the school.

Arlington Police announced at 10:41 am that the lockout on the school had been lifted. The students were then bussed to the designated reunification center at the Arlington ISD Athletic Center on Division Street, where parents and guardians began picking up students at noon.

School was canceled in Lamar on Tuesday and will resume on Wednesday.

Content Source

Related Articles